5 questions to ask a plumber
Date: January 13, 2021
Originally published on AZBigMedia.com.
Whether it’s a toilet repair, faucet replacement or sewer line overhaul, you want to rely on a reputable professional. After all, it’s your home and your money. The experts at family-owned Donley AC & Plumbing are sharing 5 key questions consumers should ask before hiring a plumber.
1. Are you licensed, bonded, and insured?
In Arizona, the Registrar of Contractor (ROC) issues residential and commercial plumbing licenses to companies with qualified representatives that pass comprehensive plumbing and business exams.
Companies that are bonded offer financial protection to the consumer if the job is not completed or fails to meet professional standards. You can verify a plumber’s license is current and check complaint history by company name or ROC number. You can also check a plumber’s reputation through the Better Business Bureau.
2. What does the estimate include?
• Ask for a breakdown of materials, labor and a contingency for any problems.
• Is labor a flat fee or hourly rate? Most professional companies use industry flat rate pricing.
• Ask what is not included in the estimate.
• Get the complete job estimate in writing prior to any work being performed.
3. How long will it take?
While some situations are tougher to estimate before work has started, a professional should be able to provide a time frame in most cases. Another option is to ask for best case and worst-case scenarios so that you can plan accordingly.
4. Who will do the work?
Ask if the person providing the estimate will perform the work. If not, find out who will and ask about their qualifications.
5. How do you stand behind your work?
Ask for written details on guarantees and warranties involving labor and parts. This is another reason to verify the company’s information through the Registrar of Contractor. Having an active license provides consumers with an avenue to file formal complaints that will be investigated by the state agency.