Preventing Frozen Pipes: Tips for Homeowners & What To Do When Your Pipes Freeze
Date: September 14, 2023
While our winter days can be mild, nights often drop to near-freezing temperatures, leaving your pipes vulnerable. When water inside the pipes begins to freeze, it expands, putting the pipe at risk of bursting.
A burst pipe can lead to flooding, property damage, and an unexpected hefty repair bill. Here are some tips for homeowners to prevent frozen pipes and what to do if your pipes freeze.
What To Do When Pipes Freeze
When the temperature dips, homeowners face the threat of frozen pipes. A frozen pipe isn’t just an inconvenience — it can burst, leading to extensive property damage and costly repairs. Knowing the immediate steps to take when your pipes freeze can be the difference between a minor inconvenience and a major catastrophe.
If your pipes freeze, follow these steps:
- Shut off the water main: This is the first step to prevent more water from entering the system and causing further damage.
- Open the faucets: Turn on all the faucets in your home. This allows water to flow, which can help melt any ice formed inside.
- Apply heat: Using a hairdryer, heating pad, or warm cloth, gently warm the affected pipe section. Remember, never use an open flame as it poses a fire hazard.
- Inspect for cracks: Check for any visible damage or leaks once you’ve thawed the pipe. Even a tiny crack can lead to significant problems.
- Call a plumber: If you suspect damage or are unsure about the condition of your pipes, it’s always best to call the professionals. Donley A/C & Plumbing, with our four decades of expertise, is a reliable choice for homeowners in Phoenix, AZ.
- Keep cabinet doors open: Allow warmer air to circulate around the pipes in your cabinets by opening the doors.
- Stay proactive: Regularly check your pipes during winter, especially on particularly chilly nights.
The onset of freezing weather requires homeowners to be vigilant and proactive. If your pipes freeze, acting swiftly and strategically can save you from water damage and expensive pipe repairs.
Preventative Maintenance for Pipes
While addressing frozen pipes promptly is vital, prevention is always better. Here are some measures Arizona homeowners can take:
- Insulate pipes: Ensure that pipes, especially those in unheated areas like basements or garages, are adequately insulated.
- Seal cracks and openings: Ensure your home is well-sealed to keep cold air out, paying particular attention to areas around windows, doors, and foundation.
- Let the faucet drip: On extremely cold nights, letting a trickle of water run can prevent water from freezing.
- Routine maintenance: Regularly schedule maintenance checks with professionals to ensure everything is working. Remember, Donley A/C & Plumbing offers valuable maintenance agreements, ensuring timely checkups and premium service.
Choose Donley A/C & Plumbing When You Have Frozen Pipes
While winter in Arizona brings a season of festivity and fun, it also brings the risk of frozen pipes. By taking preventative measures and knowing what to do if your pipes freeze, Phoenix homeowners can ensure the safety and integrity of their homes and minimize any damage from frozen pipes.
If you ever face a frozen or burst pipe, know that the friendly and professional Donley A/C & Plumbing team is ready to help. Our unparalleled commitment to community, expertise, and reliable service makes us the trusted choice for all your plumbing needs.
Dealing with frozen pipes in your Phoenix home? Schedule plumbing services with Donley A/C & Plumbing by calling 602-787-3956 today.