5 TIPS FOR AIR CONDITIONING REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE FOR SUMMER
APR 19, 2017
The weather is warming up and air conditioning repair is on top of many people’s minds. Is your air conditioning in good shape and at the ready to keep your home comfortable? It is one of the most-used and relied upon systems in your home. It is also one of the most expensive things to have to replace in the home. Therefore, it is imperative that homeowners know how to take care of their air conditioners and when it is time for air conditioning repair. Read on for our tips to make sure everything is good to go!
WHEN TO CALL A PRO FOR AIR CONDITIONING REPAIR
Aside from taking steps to repair air conditioning issues, make sure that your home is well insulated. Keep blinds or curtains closed during the day. Before summer is here altogether (and it starts staying hot at night), consider opening windows at night when it cools down and closing them in the morning to lock in as much cool air as possible. Make sure that you are setting your AC thermostat appropriately and that you have been practicing proper AC maintenance (more on this later).
If after taking all of these steps, you still find that your house is not as comfortable as you may like, it may be time to start firing up the air conditioner (if you haven’t already). Or, if you are facing this issue even though your air conditioner is on, it is time to have a professional evaluate whether or not you are in need of air conditioning repair.
AIR CONDITIONING REPAIR
Pinpointing whether your unit is in need of air conditioning repair or just maintenance can be tricky and is ultimately best left to a professional. Many homeowners put off calling someone because they want to avoid a big bill. However, in many cases, it is more prudent to call a licensed tech sooner to avoid larger (more expensive) air conditioning repairs in the long run and to extend the life of your air conditioner. Knowing when to call a professional is key. Contact an air conditioning repair professional for attention if your air conditioner is exhibiting any of the following symptoms:
- Poor air flow: If there is little or no airflow coming from your vents, there could be multiple culprits. Whether it is a problem with the duct work or a larger problem with blowers failing, this is a problem that should be addressed sooner rather than later.
- Excessive moisture: If you are finding pools of water or moisture next to the air conditioner, it can be a symptom of drain tube issues—either breakage or blockage. Over time, this will cause serious problems with your air conditioner. Alternatively, if your AC unit is leaking refrigerant, call an air conditioning repair professional immediately.
- Strange sounds: As you would probably guess. Grinding, squeaking or grating noises can be an indication of something seriously wrong within the air conditioning unit. Ignoring this issue will more than likely cause a serious problem.
- Odors: Different smells can indicate different air conditioning repairs. Burned out wires have a specific, strong smell.
AIR CONDITIONING MAINTENANCE
It behooves homeowners to be proactive with their air conditioners by practicing appropriate maintenance to avoid the issues outlined above. Regularly scheduled professional maintenance is needed (once per year, twice if it is an HVAC system that you will use for heat as well) to clean and inspect pieces of the air conditioning unit and to keep it in good working order. In between those visits, here are the steps you can take to avoid expensive air conditioning repair costs or, even worse, having to replace an air conditioner before its time:
- Make sure that your AC’s thermostat is set properly
- Regularly clean and/or replace your air filters as appropriate—likely more often during months of high use like the summer
- Keep the area around your air conditioning unit free of clutter to allow it to function properly
- Regularly inspect your air conditioner to make sure that there are no observable leaks or other issues
- Assess the airflow in your home and be conscious of whether or not there are changes in how cold air is distributed in the house
Phoenix summers are no joke! Before we reach extreme temperatures, get your air conditioner expert attention if it needs it. If you have any concerns about your air conditioner, including maintenance questions, be sure to contact us today. Donley Service Center specializes in all package (rooftop) and split systems (the furnace and the condenser unit are separate) and once we have completed any necessary air conditioner repair, we can also help with evaluating your equipment for proper sizing, air distribution and energy savings for improved comfort.